Tuesday, October 5, 2010

slowing down

Life rarely slows down for our family. Even the little trip the kids and I took to ride bikes on some new trails had a two fold purpose. One, our park system is developing a brochure for the new trails so I was asked to take some photographs while the colors are at their peak. Two, it's birthday month for our kids so I dressed them accordingly in hopes of snapping a few keepers to commemorate their 4th and 6th birthdays.

Our outing was fun and productive. I admit I found myself prompting the kids to hurry up so we could get to the next leg of the trail or hurry up to get their seat belts buckled (they can do it themselves now! Hallelujah!). I can feel my heart starting to race and the pressure mount when they move.so.slow. I can also feel that nudge to let them be. Do we really need to hurry up? Sometimes the answer is yes (like this morning when Julia slept until 5 minutes before our departure time) but much of the time I'm hurrying them out of habit.

It's something I want to work on - for their sake and mine. I've started to notice that when they ask for something like a snack or help with something they want me to hurry up! How does that saying go? "Lord grant me patience, and I want it right now!"




Be still and know that I am God.

Psalm 46:10

3 comments:

Shiri Briseno October 5, 2010 at 2:58 PM  

thank you for posting this, I think the words please hurry, hurry up, hurry we're late, come out of my mouth way more than kinder more loving words. I feel that with little kids my life is always so busy. I too will be working on slowing down, I pray that it is possible. Have a wonderful slowed down Tuesday.

Jenney October 5, 2010 at 7:29 PM  

I totally needed this reminder. With two kids in preschool/prekindergarten plus the daycare...I feel rushed SOOO much. Thanks.

Picture of Julia=divine

Anonymous October 7, 2010 at 10:08 AM  

So very true! I often find myself giving me and Boo time limits "15 minutes at the library, 10 minutes in JoAnn's." It is pointless to rush so much, I need to slow down.

Forest Friends

Campground Chronicles - The Archives

My Talented Blog Designer

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP