Saturday, May 29, 2010

How to maintain a straw bale garden


I am a newbie in the gardening world. Four summer's ago I tried container gardening with our first born and like I said back then, I didn't grow much, I just killed them really slowly. I've learned from my mistakes that plants need to be fed multiple times during the growing season. Last year I added fertilizer every couple of weeks.

This year I plan to fertilize my straw bale garden every week to try to avoid the blossom end rot (sign of calcium deficiency by the way - add bone meal) and to encourage my plants to GROW GROW GROW. They are all natural fertilizers and I don't use very much of them at a time. Not a full meal...just a snack....sprinkled carefully around the base of the plant like this:

3 comments:

Kristina Joy May 29, 2010 at 7:57 AM  

Thanks for the garden tour yesterday, and the relaxing visit! The hammock time was lovely.

Erin May 29, 2010 at 8:33 AM  

Good Luck :)

Anonymous May 30, 2010 at 3:22 PM  

I'm in envy of your success. I've had to replant a couple of times as my plants keep dying. I've just tried putting mulch on it to keep it from overheating in the sun. Do you have any suggestions?
Megan

Forest Friends

Campground Chronicles - The Archives

My Talented Blog Designer

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP