Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Tasty Tuesday - Beef Stew

My blogging friend Lindsay hosts Tasty Tuesday and I have a beef stew recipe to share. A winning combo if I've ever seen one!
After taking the kids skiing yesterday we enjoyed some leftover stew. (That's the secret.) It gets thicker after you reheat it. We almost always make a double batch so we are guaranteed to have leftovers.


Taken from my More With Less Cookbook:

Oven Beef Stew

Shake in Bag* - 2 T flour, 1 t salt,
1/4 t pepper, 1 lb beef cubes
Heat in skillet - 2 T shortening (I use olive oil instead)



Brown beef cubes, then place in greased casserole dish (I use a glass dish that doesn't need to be greased.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Add 2 c. tomato juice**

1 onion, chopped
1/2 t. dried basil


Cover and bake 1 hour

Add 4 small/medium potatoes and 3 carrots, cut into 1" pieces (This is a good point to reevaluate whether there is enough liquid in the dish. Lots will cook away so add more juice at this point to stretch the recipe further if you want.)

Bake 1 hour longer or until tender.

* I've found that using a large yogurt container works just as good as a bag, is reusable, and provides an easy place to toss the veggie peelings.

**I never ever have tomato juice in the house. I have always substituted tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce by putting 1 cup sauce and 1 cup water in instead of juice. I've even gotten away with adding pureed spinach without anyone catching on.

3 comments:

Esther January 6, 2009 at 9:57 PM  

Yummy! I'm going to try that one. Looks easy!

Lindsay January 7, 2009 at 3:16 PM  

Oh - look at you go! Maybe next time you can just have a video of yourself cooking?! :-) Love the pics....and the finished products. Mmmmm. Can't wait until I can stand to cook again, cuz I'm making that for sure.

Thanks!

Karen January 20, 2009 at 8:30 PM  

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I made it last weekend and it was the yummiest stew I've ever eaten. I no longer have a phobia about cooking stew and made it wheat free by using rice flour. Thanks for sharing...mind if I post your recipe myself?

Forest Friends

Campground Chronicles - The Archives

My Talented Blog Designer

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP