Thursday, November 20, 2008

What My Kids Learn From Making Bread




During the summer (when these pics were taken) we spent part of Mondays making bread in an effort to eat healthier and save money.
I wish I could say I kept up with that tradition, but alas, I've returned to buying bread from the store. (We still make these muffins though.) Without any good way to store the loaves they were getting moldy too fast and I've yet to figure out a way to slice the bread so I can use it for sandwiches. It probably has something to do with the recipe I use, but I don't have a bread board either so I can't use a recipe that requires kneading. Does anyone have a good sandwich friendly no-knead recipe?

It was fun while it lasted and I think the kids got a lot out of it.

They practiced taking turns.
They worked on motor skills when they dumped the ingredients.
They learned that you have to work for what you want.
They practiced their math skills.
They learned to be patient.
























They learned that things you make yourselves always taste better.



If you are new to my blog this post also talks about why we made our own bread and the cookbook that has inspired me.

7 comments:

CntryMomma November 20, 2008 at 10:21 AM  

Boy, it sure looks yummy! Your children are adorable.

Your youngest wrinkles up her nose like my youngest does. LOL

LORI

Esther November 20, 2008 at 3:06 PM  

Funny, I just made two loaves in my breadmaker today! Could we have any MORE in common? That looks yummy, by the way, did you post the recipe?

Jenn November 20, 2008 at 4:11 PM  

Mamabear, would you be willing to share your yummy looking bread recipe? I love that there is no kneading required and it only dirties my mixer!!

Thanks!!

Aspiemom November 20, 2008 at 6:57 PM  

Those are such priceless pictures! I bet they had so much fun! Doesn't the house smell great when bread is baking?

Anonymous November 21, 2008 at 5:28 PM  

I live alone and always freeze (after slicing) the bread I make & buy. It works very well -- no sogginess & no mold. When it is toasted right out of the freezer, it tastes pretty close to fresh.

Anonymous November 21, 2008 at 8:28 PM  

Oh I love that. I so want a nice mixer (or well a mixer at all) so I can do some serious baking like that. A hand mixer only takes you so far. ;)

Lindsay November 22, 2008 at 7:00 PM  

I just printed your recipe and will try it out for sure!! Num. We go throug bread like water - so that would be fun to try.

Forest Friends

Campground Chronicles - The Archives

My Talented Blog Designer

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP