Thursday, June 12, 2008

on the rise

It's becoming increasingly difficult to buy a loaf of bread for under $3 especially if I want to get good quality whole grain bread. The kids and I went to the grocery store to purchase a few items to have a picnic at a local park. Here's what I bought:
1 apple
1 nectarine
1 loaf of bread
1/5 of a watermelon
10 ounces of deli meat
small container of mashed potatoes
buns for our hamburgers tonight
a bunch of bananas (the really ripe ones so I could get them for 39 cents a pound)

total cost: $16
Darn this healthy eating business. McDonald's would have cost me $6.

Since we go through a lot of bread now that we don't eat crackers, chips, Goldfish etc... I have decided that perhaps I should take a stab at making my own. I've done it before when I was 18 and living in a tent in the Montana Wilderness. If I could do it under those conditions why shouldn't I be able to make some yummy, nutritious homemade bread in my modern kitchen? I might even be able to convince Brian that he doesn't need his own loaf of white bread anymore (or at least guilt him into eating what I slaved over in a hot kitchen). A girl can dream right?

Does anyone have any recipes they'd like to share? We don't have any food allergies, but Sam doesn't like nuts.

0 comments:

Forest Friends

Campground Chronicles - The Archives

My Talented Blog Designer

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP