Thursday, November 20, 2008

More with Less - easy no-knead whole wheat bread

Jenn hit the nail on the head with her comment on my previous post. The beauty of this recipe is that it only dirties the mixer, bread pans, one kettle, and the measuring cups/spoons.

Here's the recipe straight out of the More with Less Cookbook:
(I'll add my two cents at the end.)

Combine in large mixer bowl:
3 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 T salt
3 pkg dry yeast

Heat in saucepan until very warm (120-130 degrees):
2 cups water
2 cups milk
1/2 cup oil

Add to dry ingredients:
warmed liquids
2 eggs

Blend at low speed until moistened. Beat 3 minutes at medium speed. Stir in by hand.

Add 5-6 cups white flour

Use enough flour to form a stiff batter.
Cover and let rise until double.
Stir down and spoon into 2 greased 9x5 inch bread pans.
Let rise 20-30 minutes.
Bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes.

I wouldn't consider this a true whole wheat recipe since there's more white flour than wheat. At the point where you add 5-6 cups white flour, if I have enough wheat flour I use 2-3 cups wheat flour instead. It never hurts to sprinkle wheat bran in either.

The first thing I do is start heating the milk, water, and oil. While that's heating I combine the first ingredients in the mixer. That way I don't have to wait for the liquids to warm up.

When we are out of milk or running low, I use powdered milk. Works like a charm and is cheaper.

Happy baking everyone!


2 comments:

Jenn November 20, 2008 at 7:32 PM  

Can't wait to make a batch with my own kids this weekend!!

There is nothing like warm bread and butter...yum

Thanks MamaBear!!!

Esther November 20, 2008 at 8:21 PM  

Thank you so much! We're running out of bread, and I plan on making this tomorrow!

Forest Friends

Campground Chronicles - The Archives

My Talented Blog Designer

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP