Saturday, January 26, 2008

Plan B

But first here's a rundown of Plan A:
My 31st birthday fell on a school day so any plans would have to wait until after Sam and I played at the sand table, other moms and I discussed the the topic of responsibility vs. obedience, and a rousing circle time. The best part was that Brian didn't have to work so he joined in the fun. Secretly he and I packed a big lunch so we could leave school and head right to the Children's Museum for the rest of the day. School went off without a hitch until I went to pick up Julia from sibling care. That's when I put two and two together. The tears I thought were from crying in the van on the way to school and the color of her eye the night before that I attributed to having a cold were in fact related....to pink eye. So much for the Children's Museum. I managed to get in to see a doctor within 15 minutes of calling (I'd call that a nice birthday present!) and sure enough it's pink eye. I was also able to confirm my suspicions that Julia has eczema, but she doesn't have and junk in her lungs or an infection in her ears. She and I ate lunch at Target while waiting for our prescription and then headed home for naps. We had planned to be gone all day so I was left with nothing special to do for my birthday.

This is where Plan B takes off:
On our unexpected trip to Target I picked up a cake mix so Sam could do his favorite birthday activity - making a cake eating cake. MCK Mama and I emailed a few times and came up with a plan to slip away after our babies were asleep. Knowing I had something special to do that night kept me in good spirits while we went about our normal evening routine. After tucking my kids into their cribs and kissing my husband goodbye, I realized that things might have not turned out as we planned, but being able to spend the entire day with my favorite people is what's important.









MCK Mama and I dined at the nicest restaurant I've been to in ages and talked, uninterrupted for three hours. The chance to do that comes as often as the chance to eat the things on this menu. We were brave enough to try the smoked wild boar spare ribs.
The warm pheasant and wheat berry salad was right up MCK Mama's alley. I prefer the house salad and savored every bite of the wild rice soup that we both ordered. Crème brûlée for dessert topped off what turned out to be the perfect birthday.

6 comments:

MerrandaVK January 26, 2008 at 11:17 AM  

Carrie - SO WIERD that we are just getting over Pink Eye too in our house!!! Try as I did, with intense hand-washing and sanitizing.. we ended up passing it around and I got it too... UGH!!! I will be praying for your little J that she gets over it quickly, it is very uncomfortable. Happy Birthday!!!

Kim January 26, 2008 at 2:03 PM  

Oh Ia m so glad that you enjoyed your birthday "uniterrupted" and you got to share it with MCK MAMA! When I come to town to meet up with MCK Mama you will have to join us!
I do need your help with figuring out how to get a collage together of a few pictures on Picasa, I can not figure it out!!!!!

Unknown January 26, 2008 at 3:57 PM  

Happy birthday! I am glad that even when plans didn't go according to how you thought you were able to salvage the day!

Anonymous January 26, 2008 at 5:01 PM  

I LOVED every bit of our evening! Super post and the photos of our dinner turned out great, too!

(We've had a whale of a day...can't wait until I can tell you about it...we JUST walked in the door...maybe I'll write after bedtime? Hope your day is going great and you have fun with your mom.)

Aleah January 28, 2008 at 12:30 AM  

Mmmm...looks like some good food & a fun time!

Happy Birthday!

Hilary January 28, 2008 at 1:42 AM  

I wanted to wish you Happy Birthday, ON your birthday, but everytime I've been to your page, it froze on me! But, it's "thawed out" now so, Happy (belated) Birthday!!!! So glad you and my sis were able to slip away!

Forest Friends

Campground Chronicles - The Archives

My Talented Blog Designer

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP