Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The price of fun

Have you been to your county fair yet? Or how about your town's summer festival? If you have I'm guessing you've noticed that fun ain't cheap these days!

We went to our old town's ***** **** Days last week with plans to buy dessert at our church's Ice Cream Social and then people watch in the park. Apparently the kids didn't get the memo because from the second we arrived they were begging to go on the bouncy thing that cost $4 for 1 time through. Not that I blame them...look at it!


We let the kids pick whether they wanted to do the bouncy thing or purchase a small toy. We explained that they could have the toys forever, but the bouncy thing would only last for 5 minutes.

They chose the bouncy thing.

Maybe I can learn a thing or two from my kids. Things aren't what matter - it's the experiences we share with those we love that matter!

The next day we happened upon a local gardening center's Family Fun Day. The price of fun here was ZERO because they didn't charge for any of the games/activities. The kids played on the playground after face painting and games, made new friends, and I scoped out raspberry bushes.

The balloon animals have since faded away, but the price was right and my heart is in the right place.


(Look for a new discussion in my blog frog community about visiting the Fair this summer)
Photobucket

6 comments:

Crystal August 4, 2009 at 9:03 AM  

I just found your blog through Blog Frog.....and I love it!!!! Living at a Campground{sigh}what a wonderful job to have =)...busy, but wonderful! I love this post....it's funny how children live for the now{the bouncy thing} and we as adults are always planning for tomorrow{the toy}...
Oh...and I also love your photography website.....I'm still learning so I love looking at others photos!

Erin August 4, 2009 at 2:20 PM  

We cant wait for the state fair! We go with grandpa and grandma each year and Alex just loves it. She is going to love the rides a whole lot more this time :) I just can't wait for the food!

Being pregnant this time I can eat whatever I want :)

Aspiemom August 4, 2009 at 2:39 PM  

GREAT pictures! Looks like a lot of fun & memory. I haven't been to a fair in YEARS.

Jessica August 4, 2009 at 7:26 PM  

Looks like the kids had so much fun! I have a random qt. how do you know if they are rasberry bushes? We moved into our house 2.5years ago and we think we might have rasberries and blackberries but I am not sure and I don't want to be Chris McCandless, if you know what I mean.

Oh, and we had the same experience with one of those Jumpy things andd Allie chose the same thing ;)

Hilary August 4, 2009 at 7:33 PM  

Ah yes...we went there! Guess what we spent our money on?
The dinosaur bouncy thing and a HUGE sno-cone (that I blogged about for Wordless Wednesday)
Looks like you all had a great time!
Oh, and I have a picture of Isaac and Rich EXACTLY like the one of Julia and your hubby :)

HD August 4, 2009 at 8:01 PM  

Super cute photos! Looks like it was a blast (o:

Forest Friends

Campground Chronicles - The Archives

My Talented Blog Designer

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP