Thursday, September 25, 2008

Now what?


During a scenic hike on the trails behind the campground this past weekend my father-in-law discovered that grapes grow here in the park.
We wouldn't want good grapes going to waste so the kids and I took an ice cream bucket with us on our walk yesterday.


The kids were great about picking and despite being staining their hands and faces purple, we picked quite a few grapes. We found some vines that we missed on Sunday and before we knew it the bucket was full. For some unknown reason there was a paper bag in the jogger which we took full advantage of and filled it half way.

My mom used to can things when I was growing up. I even remember my parents making wine with the grapes that grew in our apple orchard. Do I have a clue how to do any of that stuff now? No.
I think it's time to give Google a try and a visit to Craigslist for canning supplies.

2 comments:

gbmom2407 September 25, 2008 at 10:58 AM  

you can also freeze them. We do that with grapes, blue berries, raspberries, and strawberries. When I can get them at a really good price (free is even better) I always toss some in the freezer. They make a tasty quick snack. My kids love how they taste frozen(they call it a sweet treat). Just a thought.
Happy day

MerrandaVK September 27, 2008 at 8:40 PM  

Wow, you guys have a great spot there! apples, grapes... I too, want to learn to can when my garden gets big enough :)

Forest Friends

Campground Chronicles - The Archives

My Talented Blog Designer

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP