Wednesday, September 5, 2007

The toughest job you'll ever love

As moms we've all heard that line before right? Parenting is hard work. It also brings unmeasurable joy. One of the fears I have is whether the way I parent is going to have a negative impact on my children as they grow. I know I don't always respond to every situation the way I should so when I happened across this question that was directed to Dr. James Dobson, I knew I needed to get the answer onto my blog - not just in a post that I won't read again until I finish archiving my posts, but as something permanent that I can read every day and ask God for the wisdom and patience to be the best mom to Sam and Julia.

"My wife and I are keenly aware of how difficult it is to be good parents, and at times, we feel very inadequate to do the job. How does a mom or dad know what's best for a child from day to day?"

Dr. Dobson's Answer: The most dedicated parents go through times when they fear they aren't responding properly to their children. They wonder if they're overreacting or under reacting, being too strict or too lenient. They suspect that they're making major mistakes that will haunt them later on. Fortunately, parents don't have to do everything right. We all make thousands of little mistakes- and a few big ones- that we wish we could reverse. But somehow, most kids roll with these blunders and come out just fine anyway. Let me give you what I consider to be the key to good parenting. It is to learn how to get behind the eyes of your child, seeing what he sees and feeling what he feels. When you know his frame of mind, your response becomes obvious. For example, when he's lonely, he needs your company. When he's defiant, he needs your help in controlling impulses. When he's afraid, he needs the security of your embrace. When he's happy, he needs to share his laughter and joy with those he loves. Raising healthy children, then, is not so much a science as it is a highly developed art, and most of us have the natural intuitive faculties to learn it. Take the time to observe those kids who live in your house. If you tune in closely to what they say and do, the feelings behind those behaviors will soon become apparent. Then your reaction to what you've seen will lead to more confident parenthood.

1 comments:

Anonymous September 6, 2007 at 1:09 PM  

Sorry for the delay in getting over here. What a great response you got. It's so scary sometimes knowing how responsible we are for these little people.

Thanks for visiting and it stinks you can't see my pictures. I can't figure out why that would be?

Your children are beautiful!

Forest Friends

Campground Chronicles - The Archives

My Talented Blog Designer

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP