Thursday, January 13, 2011

I couldn't resist

Julia and I made a pit stop at the grocery store today right after preschool. It was the worst time of day for us to be doing such an errand, but the alternative (pb&j for dinner) made it it worth it. As she fussed and moaned down the produce aisle I did my best to move quickly and get only what we really needed. I had compassion and empathy for her empty tummy so her whimpering didn't grate on me like it has the potential to do.

As I contemplated buying full sized oranges since they were out of the little sized Cuties we like best, I stood next to a boy (about Julia's age) who was completely unattended. (read: no adult within 25 feet).

He was taking oranges from the front of the row and tossing them to the back of the pile.

Over and over again.

I didn't say a thing. What wast he point? I didn't feel it was my place, but when he asked, "why is she crying?" I couldn't help but reply,

"She's sad because the oranges are getting wrecked?"

"Huh?"

"Well when you toss them around like they they won't be any good."

Cue - parental figure from the tomato aisle who calls the little twerp over to her.

I know I shouldn't have lied to the kid, but man, I couldn't resist!

What would YOU have done in that situation?

9 comments:

Unknown January 13, 2011 at 12:36 PM  

Sounds to me like you got two birds with one stone....maybe even three!!!

Anonymous January 13, 2011 at 12:38 PM  

I don't know if I would have had the idea to say that to him, but I would hope I would. Or something like that. I don't mind in situations like that telling a little white lie. Sometimes reason just doesn't work.

Tutu January 13, 2011 at 2:20 PM  

I'm not sure what I would have done, but I know my husband, the grocery manager, would LOVE what you did! You would not believe the stories he has of unruly, unattended kids!

Esther January 13, 2011 at 6:59 PM  

THE SAME EXACT THING. Way to go!

Secret Mom Thoughts January 13, 2011 at 7:46 PM  

I like how you handled it.

Jenney January 13, 2011 at 8:28 PM  

That is genius. YOU ARE A GENIUS. I get SO annoyed with kids in the grocery. And I'm the lady who totes 5 under 5 with her. So I have the right to be annoyed I think. Cause mine are not always angels, but they aren't doing 1/2 the things people who only have one are doing.
I get the opportunity to "comment" on their behavior via Snug though. He'll say things like "THAT is not good mama. THAT is something I cannot do. Nope. Not nice." And he is not a quiet boy. He also says things like "We cannot buy that because it is NOT good for our teeth/muscles/whatever body part he decides to insert". Love that kid.

Meet the Smiths January 14, 2011 at 9:33 AM  

I would have said something similar.

Maybe...she's crying because she hears the oranges crying "don't throw me!"

Jenny @ flutterbyechronicles January 14, 2011 at 3:29 PM  

Love it, I would have said the same thing :)

Aubrey January 17, 2011 at 1:29 PM  

I can't believe the time has flown so! Come over to my house with the baby belly! (and whoever is home with you) let's come up with something...

Forest Friends

Campground Chronicles - The Archives

My Talented Blog Designer

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP