Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Tasty Tuesday - Beef Barley Soup

Lindsay hosts Tasty Tuesday over at Our Lives in a Nutshell. Head over there for more tasty and easy recipes! My family is still enjoying the pancake recipe she posted a while back.

Since Winter won't cut us a break around here, we're still in the thick of soup season.

This is one of my favs: Beef Barley Soup



It's thick, it's flavorful, and healthy.
I've modified the original recipe from my Eating for Life cookbook so it can be prepared in the crockpot.

Beef Barley Soup
Serves:6


Ingredients:
1 T olive oil
1 1/2 pounds top sirloin (I just use whatever roast type meat I have on hand) cut in 1in. cubes
4 cups beef broth
1 cup water
1 chopped onion
1 chopped stalk of celery
1 sliced carrot
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup pearl barley
1 bay leaf
10 oz frozen green beans
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
10 oz frozen green peas

1) In a large pot, over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Add the beef cubes and cook for about 8 minutes; stirring occasionally until browned on all sides.

2) Put browned meat in crockpot and add beef broth*, water, onion, celery, carrot, oregano, black pepper, garlic, and can of tomatoes

3) Cook on low 8-10 hours or on high for 5-6 hours.

4) 30-40 minutes before serving add frozen beans, peas, and barley (cook on high)


Enjoy!


and then enjoy the next day too when the meat is even more tender....

* I'm trying a new pot roast recipe this week that I'm hoping will leave me with enough broth that I won't have to use store-bought broth for this recipe. In order to buy broth that is even remotely healthy I have to spend six bucks...on broth. That's not OK. That would take up 1/4 of my grocery bill.
Yes, I said 1/4. We are eating for $22 this week.
How? By using things we already have on hand and only filling in the gaps. We're eating tater tot hotdish, tacos, pot roast, BLT's, and two meals of beef barley soup for $22 (that includes buying fresh fruit and a loaf of bread too)

What are you eating this week?

8 comments:

Aspiemom March 3, 2009 at 7:00 AM  

Looks yummy!

Yep, we can be frugal when we need to. It's amazing what we can do when we put our mind to it! Good job on the grocery bill!

Andria March 3, 2009 at 7:20 AM  

Tater tot hot dish! Now THERE'S a recipe we may need! (As a Californian originally, I find hot dish almost exotic...)

I had downloaded Booksmart a while ago, but hadn't used it til you prompted your loyal readers with the Alphabitty Moments. So I don't have any experience to speak of...but I did have fun with my first spin on it yesterday. I would need a lot more tinkering to feel remotely confident with it.

Anonymous March 3, 2009 at 7:36 AM  

That soup looks great! I can't wait to try it! Thanks for the recipe.

Esther March 3, 2009 at 2:01 PM  

I love crock pot cooking! Thanks, this one looks so yummy. Soup is always better the day after!
We are very frugal food shoppers here too. I have a $150 budget every other week, and try to get by with $100, so I have extra if need be. I actually get quite a few groceries at Dollar General, believe it or not!

Anonymous March 3, 2009 at 10:45 PM  

This is one of MY faves (of yours), too! I LOVE it. You made us some at the tail end of my hospital stay in July/August I think, and there were still (YUMMY) leftovers when I got home.

I wish I had some NOW!

:)

Jenney March 4, 2009 at 8:43 PM  

We are going to eat Tex-Mex chicken...
1 can corn (39cents, Aldi)
1 can black beans (64 cents,Kroger)
1/2 jar medium salsa (1,29, Aldi)
3 chicken breasts (89 cents each, Aldi)

Put in a crockpot for 3-4 hours.
Very easy, very cheap, very quick, kinda nutritous?

Lindsay March 5, 2009 at 3:58 PM  

Oh my goodness! You did a Tasty Tuesday and I didn't even host it this week!! I've only been having one poster lately so I didn't think people would even notice! Now I feel bad. Thanks for playing without your host!! It looks delicious!

Anonymous January 3, 2010 at 11:25 AM  

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Forest Friends

Campground Chronicles - The Archives

My Talented Blog Designer

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP