Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Stain Remover 101


I got a crash course in stain removal Saturday morning after an unnamed member of our family PapaBear dropped a blueberry from his toast onto our couch.

By the time I took this picture, he'd tried to get it out with carpet cleaner (cringe). I think that's where the white residue is from, but at least it didn't bleach our couch.

I searched the internet for options and came up with a few.

1st I poured warm water over the stain and blotted after a minute. The instructions were to blot until there wasn't anything transferring to the paper towel, but there never was anything transferring.

2nd step was to mix warm water with dish soap and let it soak into the stain. Again the blotting didn't look like it was removing anything...

Then I got an email from gbmom2407 who saw my tweet and suggested shaving cream.

Worked like a charm.

Who knew!?

Thanks friend!

My husband thanks you for saving him from the repercussions of wrecking our couch teasing about having to extend the "no eating on the couch rule" to him.

Photobucket

7 comments:

Lucy and Ethel March 31, 2009 at 1:59 PM  

Thanks for sharing - what a great hint!!! We love blueberries, and the hubby loves to eat on the couch with his legs propped up. Recipe for disaster....

Lucy

Aspiemom March 31, 2009 at 2:33 PM  

That's a new one to me! I'll have to remember that one.

I plan my meals out for 2 weeks, but then something happens to the schedule and it's all out the window! (In case you're having a hard time following my train of thot, I'm reading your twittering!) I had everything planned for my husband being on the road and for my meals w/ my son. Then my dh doesn't have work, but we don't know if/when he'll be called, so...do we eat his meals so they don't go bad? Or save them in case he gets called? All of my planning has gone out the window!

Jenny @ flutterbyechronicles March 31, 2009 at 2:53 PM  

Great tip, I will have to right that one down. Saves money too, because who doesn't have shaving cream:)

Sara March 31, 2009 at 4:50 PM  

Ooo, this is good to know. I'm going to have to raid my husband's side of the bathroom cabinet in a few minutes.

Pam March 31, 2009 at 4:58 PM  

Shaving cream? Really? You're right! Who knew?!

Sounds a bit odd but if it works, it works.

Thanks for the tip! Thankfully, we have a leather sofa. But that doesn't mean that the girls don't still want to eat on my favorite upholstered chair.

gbmom2407 April 1, 2009 at 6:13 PM  

Thanks Carrie. HEY LADIES, not the gel shaving cream... the foam. The cheep stuff works great (I think I paid .87 cents the last time I bought a bottle) in our experience it takes most stains our of all apolstry and carpets.
Happy day,
Anna

Queen Mommy April 2, 2009 at 1:44 PM  

I love stain removing tips, as I'm always trying to get something out of somewhere! Hydrogen peroxide works on blueberry stains too (as well as cherry juice, grape juice, etc).

Forest Friends

Campground Chronicles - The Archives

My Talented Blog Designer

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP