Thursday, February 12, 2009

The game of Life

The kids have been enjoying our collection of 30 board games lately since outdoor playtime has been very limited this winter. Sam's favorites are CandyLand & Chutes & Ladders. My 30 year old version of CandyLand has seen better days so I turned to Craigslist to see if anyone was getting rid of board games. Sure enough, I was able to meet a lady in a parking lot and buy 4 games for $10. They are in perfect condition...er...they were in perfect condition until Julia got a hold of them. She's not known for being careful with game pieces. Our Hi-Ho Cherrio game is a wreck thanks to her, but it's still one of my favorite ones to play as a family because whatever little Miss Julia is doing with her tree, bucket, or cherries has no bearing on the game.



PapaBear dug Sorry out of the closet the other day and with some modifications, Sam thought it was fun to play. To keep them busy while we did our couples devotional one night, I let them play with Battleship & Life. They loved it! I look forward to lots of game nights as a family.



There are so many lessons to be learned from playing board games:
A person can't be the best (happy) all the time, but we can still have a good attitude.
One minute you might be 5 spaces away from the Candy Castle, but getting the Candy Cane (laid off) will send you right back where you started.

What life lessons does your family learn from playing board games?

One thing is for certain - In this game called (real)Life I'm glad I'm playing with Jesus on my team.

3 comments:

Esther February 12, 2009 at 4:49 PM  

Amen! I think board games teach lots of patience. Waiting your turn, waiting to get to that candy castle, etc. Valuable skills!

Paula February 12, 2009 at 8:42 PM  

Amen! Amen! and Amen! I can't imagine doing ANYTHING without Jesus on my team!

Jenney February 13, 2009 at 1:00 PM  

I'm not sure we are learning any deep lessons at this point, besides taking turns, colors, and numbers, but we play quite a bit of a Fisher Price fishing game, Oreo cookie match-up, and Don't Spill the Beans. (yeah for garage sales and Grandmommy being a retired preschool teacher!)
My husband and I also have made a very competitive game out of an ice cream scoop game. It didn't have directions with it, and always was a mess...but he and I created our own version and the kids don't even TRY to play with us anymore...we're just kids at heart I guess!

Forest Friends

Campground Chronicles - The Archives

My Talented Blog Designer

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP