Sunday, January 4, 2009

When the weather outside is frightful


In bear country the mercury is buried far down in the thermometer most days for months on end. The upside is that we get to eat this yummy chili often. We've been perfecting our recipe for a few years and this winter we've found just the right combination of spices and tomatoes.

If you like your chili
chunky,
light on the beans,
spicy but not too spicy,
and to feed about 8-10 people
then this is the chili for you:

Bear Country Chili

2 pounds ground beef
4 stalks chopped celery
1 diced green pepper
1 chopped onion
7 cloves garlic
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
(with green chilis)
1-2 cups water
4 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 T salt
4 T sugar
7 T chili powder
1 t dried oregano
1 t ground cumin
1 can of dark red kidney beans, drained


Brown hamburger, drain fat.
Put all ingredients in a crockpot.
Add water until desired consistency is reached.
Cook on low for 10 hours or high for 6 hours.

5 comments:

Vonney January 4, 2009 at 9:01 PM  

This looks and sounds so good. I plan on making me some later this week. TFS!

Aspiemom January 4, 2009 at 9:02 PM  

I'm still working on perfecting ours, too. A friend gave me a Chili Cookbook - can you imagine all of those recipes?

I just found out last year, after 21 years of marriage, that my husband likes his chili thin and sweet like Wendy's! I always had made it thick and spicy! I put corn in mine.

Hard to imagine harsh weather today. I was just out on the deck and you still don't need a coat. But the colder days will visit us this week.

CntryMomma January 4, 2009 at 9:53 PM  

I made something very similar this evening. VERY FULLING!!

LORI

Anonymous January 5, 2009 at 10:20 AM  

Is this the recipe where you might have put in a tad bit too much salt?

I'm going to have to try this one and I'm going to follow your blog and see what other mischief you get in!

Vonney January 7, 2009 at 10:27 AM  

I was trying to print your chili receipe when I got a message which said "protected image cannot be saved." I printed your blog page to get the receipe, but can you please e-mail me and tell me how to do that. I would really like to add that protection on my blog. Thanks!
Yvonne.Poulsen@hotmail.com

Forest Friends

Campground Chronicles - The Archives

My Talented Blog Designer

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP