Thursday, September 18, 2008

The wheels on the bus

Today Sam rode the school bus home for the very first time. Naively I thought that if he got it out of his system that we could go back to me driving him back and forth to school. I was wrong. The first thing he said when he got off the bus was "Can I ride the bus next time too Mom?"

I have a very hard time letting my child be driven home by a complete stranger. I'm the first to admit that I am an overprotective parent. I had planned to stand by my pledge to never let my kids ride the school bus.
Oops.
I guess I failed.
As a person who can rationalize with the best of them, let me offer this explanation:
The number one reason I don't want my children riding the school bus is because they don't have seat belts. "Problem" is, that this bus does have seat belts. The teacher's aide gets everyone on the bus after school and makes sure they are buckled in properly.
That's not so bad now right? I can rest assured that my baby is safe and secure.

Second, I don't want my children to have to be picked up at an ungodly hour and ride around the countryside like both my husband and I had to do through school because, though raised in different states, we both lived in the country.
First ones on.
Last ones off.

How do I get around this? I simply drive him in the morning to avoid the 45 minute bus ride and at the end of the morning (on the days I decide he can ride the bus) he gets to be the first one dropped off. They cross one busy street and it's smooth sailing from there.
Sam is happy (and safe!)
Mommy is happy.
I think we might let the wheels on the bus come 'round here more often.

2 comments:

Lindsay September 18, 2008 at 11:32 PM  

Oh dear - way to go you brave mom! I feel the same way about the bus. Only I didn't even think about seatbelts (duh!)...I keep thinking about the bad things they learn on the bus from older kids (at least I did anyway). Ugh. Thanks for giving me hope! Maybe it's just a phase...

MerrandaVK September 19, 2008 at 1:31 PM  

Glad to hear he loved it and it was a pleasant experience. Kids just love school buses :)

Forest Friends

Campground Chronicles - The Archives

My Talented Blog Designer

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP