Monday, March 31, 2008

Conversations with an insurance agent

One of the things on my to-do list is to get renter's insurance. I called Progressive on Thursday and asked them to transfer me to the company they work with to provide other types of insurance. Here's how it went:
Me: I am calling to get renter's insurance on the home we'll be moving into May 1st.
Agent Man: Can I have your first and last blah..blah...blah...
Agent Man: Will there be any firearm's on the property?
Me: Do BB guns count? (remember those pesky woodpeckers?)
Agent Man: Um no, but I do need to disclose that we'll be doing a claim check though.
Me: A what?
Agent Man: We'll do a search to see if you've filed any claims in the last five years.
Me: Hey Brian! What year did that guy die in our bedroom and the tree fall on our house?
Agent Man: What?
Brian: 2002
Me: Oh good. That's outside of the 5 year window.
Agent Man: Someone died in your house?
Me: Hmmm? Oh yeah. We rented out our house one summer and learned the week before we were suppose to move back in that the gentleman had died in our bedroom a week prior. "Thankfully" we weren't the ones to find the body, but by the time the man's friends found him three days after he died in the middle of a heat wave, our hardwood floor was ruined and need to be refinished. The man's family came in, cleaned out his personal items (fine - wish they would have cleaned the house too), took some of our furniture (not fine - took me forever to track it down), and put what they couldn't fit in their truck out on the curb. (That's a whole other post.)
Within two weeks our neighbor's 100 year old elm tree fell on our house so we had to drop our home owner's claim on our stolen furniture to avoid losing our home owner's insurance completely.
Agent Man: Wow. That was a run of bad luck!
Me: You could say that.
Agent Man: Just a few more questions and I'll be able to get you a quote. Will there be any business conducted on the property?
Me: No. (Sadly I will not be able to do (paid) photo shoots in our new home because of the contract we signed. I'm hoping the grounds are not off limits and I'll still shoot on location.)
Agent Man: Will there be service people working on the property?
Me: I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you're asking.
Agent Man: Will there be a nanny or a housekeeper?
Me: I wish!

That was actually kinda fun to check that chore off my list. Who would have thought!

2 comments:

Anonymous March 31, 2008 at 9:46 PM  

Oh, I'd forgotten about the freaky story of the guy who died in your house. Oh my.

And, you are so wrong! There WILL be a nanny and a housekeeper on your property! It's just that the nanny and housekeeper won't be getting paid. Oh, and also the nanny and housekeeper will be YOU.

:)

Kelly March 31, 2008 at 11:08 PM  

Ha! That was certainly one of the more interesting posts I have read in a long time...

Forest Friends

Campground Chronicles - The Archives

My Talented Blog Designer

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP