Monday, January 21, 2008

A spoonful of sugar applesauce helps the medicine go down

Year round my kids get a squirt of flax oil, a multivitamin* and a liquid DHA supplement (Omega-3's) in whatever they happen to be eating for breakfast. If I can't sneak it in there, I put it in their water/milk/juice cup. All winter my kids get a dose of Echinacea Goldenseal daily. When they are fighting a cold (like Julia is now), I bring out my arsenal of remedies to boost further boost her immune system.
* The Echinacea Goldenseal is upped to 3x a day
* One KidZinc Lozenges w/ echinacea, olive leaf and
slippery elm is crushed and sprinkled on her
applesauce.
* 1/2 cup of Cold Care tea is added to her juice.

* I cut out dairy products and pump as much water into her as I can. Since I'm still nursing I up my intake of Mother's Milk tea and Fenugreek to increase my milk supply.
* I also take a great pre-natal vitamin with whole green foods in it.
* At night I use the vapor plugs from PediaCare and run a humidifier in her room.
* We use that awful blue bulb to suck out her nose as needed. Did you know if you cover one nostril with your finger while you suck out the other one, you get way more stuff out? Now this is going to sound cruel - even more cruel than sticking that thing up your baby's nose, but it works and it makes the whole process faster.
With her arms at her side, I straddle her and keep her arms down with my thighs (I told you it sounds cruel) and then with one hand I hold her head to one side and cover a nostril. My free hand does the sucking as fast as possible. Thankfully a snuggle is all it takes for her to forget the torture she just endured.
* I also feel very strongly that chiropractic care helps. If your spine is out of line your body isn't equipped to heal itself as well. I'll be taking Julia in to see her doctor, the same one who adjusted her at 5 days old, this afternoon. Will we see instant results? No, but I know that her little body will be fighting this virus to the best of it's ability.

What do you do to help your kids stay healthy in the winter and what do you do when they get that inevitable cold?

* All vitamins are not created equal. I highly recommend checking out the health food store for a whole food concentrate variety. We use Nature's Plus-Source of Life-Animal Parade

Sorry I couldn't include links to these products. It's too time consuming with a little who needs extra attention today. Give Google a try if you're interested. Of course you can always leave me a comment and I can get back to you later.


Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Homegrown Tribe January 21, 2008 at 12:01 PM  

did I write this? Ha! we do a very similar routine except we add in colloidal silver. It's amazing! And I agree 100% on chiropractors... you just have to find a good one. Sounds like you have. We love ours and would be lost without her.


hope she feels better soon.

4under3 January 21, 2008 at 3:10 PM  

I too sneak Flax oil in bfast. They also get a liquid dose of Vita Lea. Among others, the twins use that very same hat from Old Navy. ;)

MerrandaVK January 21, 2008 at 7:23 PM  

Very fun post Carrie! We are a Shaklee family (organic supplement/cleaning product company). So my kids get vita lea, vitamen C, Calcium & Soy protein powder in their milks in the mornings. I put milled flax seed in as much as I can. We also use Shaklee's complete line of toxic free cleaners/laundry soap, dish soap/dishwasher products. We have a Shaklee air purifier too in our home, as there are lots of toxins in a new home from carpet, paint ect... And when Ethny was an infant, our chiropractor diagnosed a misaligned pallet in her mouth, which was not diagonosed at multiple other doctor visits.. long story there.. Well I've written enough.

Anonymous January 21, 2008 at 9:11 PM  

Super post. You know, we think so alike, but also I've learned so much from you! Thanks! I had also forgotten about collodial silver...I had to take that years ago, as a kid, to get rid of something....an infection in my foot or something. I don't think I ever would have remembered that if Brittany hadn't said that.

Forest Friends

Campground Chronicles - The Archives

My Talented Blog Designer

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP