Thursday, January 31, 2008

My dream job

Growing up I thought it would be so cool to be a photographer for National Geographic. I looked at a couple of art schools when I was a junior in high school, but settled on a liberal arts collage instead. I didn't have the confidence to pursue my passion, professionally. The ironic thing is that while working my other dream job as a park ranger, I was asked to participate in a photo shoot for a National Geographic article on kayaking in Voyageurs National Park. That day was the best and worst of my life. I'd only been in a kayak once before so by the end of the day I had to be towed behind another kayak because my muscles weren't conditioned. I was a limp, frozen noodle when I was returned to the dock twelve hours later . My sweet husband had my robe heating in the dryer for me and a bubble bath waiting. While I soaked my aching body I replayed the day in my head: Eight hours of paddling, being photographed in one of the most beautiful places I've ever been, watching a double rainbow arc above our kayaks, sharing the history of the park with the writer, being paid to "help" with this once in a lifetime adventure, looking up in awe at the autumn colors way up high on the sheer cliffs..... So what that for a week I couldn't lift a pencil or push open a door without excruciating pain. This was National Geographic!!!!

It would take months for my excitement to be crushed to a pulp as the article got bumped month after month. I never did get to see any of the 45 rolls of film in all their glossy glory, perfectly place amongst the pages of National Geographic Traveler, but I don't need them to remember that glorious day. They're tucked safely away in my heart.

I wouldn't change a thing about the path my career has taken. If I hadn't gone to that small liberal arts college I never would have gone to Voyageurs National Park for an internship. I wouldn't have met the love of my life and I wouldn't have my precious children. Who knows what I'd be doing right now. I do know that I couldn't ask for a better job. To stay home with my kids and get paid to create keepsakes for other people? Not too bad for a geography major.



What was YOUR dream job?

5 comments:

MerrandaVK January 31, 2008 at 5:07 PM  

SO interesting! I always wanted to be an accountant...isn't that boring? I got a degree in Finance and got a job out of college as a Corporate Credit Analyst for a large bank.. I LOVED my job and was sad to quit, but worth it to be given such beautiful children.
Now I think it would be fun to be in real estate or graphic design...

MerrandaVK January 31, 2008 at 5:08 PM  

Oh, and Evan and I use to kayak when we were dating with our friends. SO fun, but yes what a workout!

Kelly February 1, 2008 at 8:45 AM  

I always wanted to be a wife and mother. But what I didn't care to much about was working outside the home. I do but someday I will stay home with my baby boy.

Anonymous February 1, 2008 at 3:12 PM  

I just wanted to be a mom and not have to work!!

Love the new sidebar photo of Brian!!!!

Kim February 2, 2008 at 11:58 AM  

I had two. I wanted to be a Veterinarian and a Photographer of some sort. I could never be a veterinarian for the simple fact that I LOVE animals TOO much and that my heart would be broken into a million and one pieces seeing the things that those wonderful individuals see every day. So there fore, I have LOVED Photography for forever and still do to this very day and do shoots every once in awhile for people.

Forest Friends

Campground Chronicles - The Archives

My Talented Blog Designer

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP