Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Believe it or not, this is my Sam


dark spiky hair and LOTS of it

We have hit a rough patch with Sam lately and I'm dreading his fast approaching birthday. He's no longer the little baby with head full of black hair, nor is he the inquisitive toddler who was happier to play with a box than a bin full of toys. His second year is coming to an end and we're praying that the battles we've been fighting over getting dressed, not picking on his sister, and pickiness over food will dim a bit. He's two so I know these things come with the territory, but everyone expects the "terrible twos". It feels, at least to me, that society cuts moms of two year olds some slack. But what about moms of three year olds? I know I shouldn't worry about what others think, but who doesn't at least some of the time? I do strive to teach Sam solid Christian values and be a good role model for him, but when the kid won't put a shirt on with out a knock-down-drag out despite a thermostat reading of 61 degrees, I have a tough time holding it together. It doesn't help that the boy is up at the crack of dawn just about every day. Before six is WAY too early! I can't give him books anymore because he rips them, I can't just let him talk in bed because it inevitably turns into yelling and that'll wake his sister. So instead, I carry the guilt that my almost three year old has watched 2 hours of tv before some kids are even awake for the day.

I treasure the good days like today (except for the 5:45 wake up time), where he plays well by himself and the other kids, isn't constantly asking for "something else to eat", and was actually dressed for part of the day.

5 comments:

Anonymous September 11, 2007 at 9:52 PM  

2-year olds can be hard. 3-year olds can be hard. You'll have your good days too. We pray for lots of wisdom and patience with ours. I'm so amazed that you have the energy to tote around 4 very small children that ALL require help quite often. I'm glad you had a good day with your boy.

Anonymous September 11, 2007 at 9:53 PM  

Oh and I'm amazed at how different Sam looks from his infancy! Dark, spikey hair?!

Anonymous September 11, 2007 at 10:39 PM  

Oh Carrie, motherhood is so intense isn't it?!? I am in the trenches with you. For us, three has been MUCH harder than two. There are beautiful days and knock-down-drag-out-bang-up days. It's exhausting and daunting and overwhelming, and that's just breakfast. I think this year is going to be smothered in prayer.

Anonymous September 12, 2007 at 8:38 AM  

I agree with Rachel, that 3 is harder than 2! I also feel the same way about being a christian and having children who don't listen to me all the time. I mean, I'm a pastors wife, right? Aren't my kids supposed to know the books of the bible and sit without moving in church by the age of one? :)

Use this blog to vent and share the frustrations! We are all here to give you virtual hugs! :)

Anonymous September 12, 2007 at 9:18 PM  

I, too, sense that we are leaving the not-so-terrible-after-all twos and entering the unknown threes with Kieran. It's that feeling of being unsure how to deal with the new challenges that's so scary. For a while now, I've known what to do when Kieran had struggles. They were still struggles, but I wasn't floundering. Now, with new issues arising, I am struggling to find my footing and have SOME kind of a game plan. Here's hoping we will settle into a new "three-year-old routine" soon. And still have energy for our other kids! Whew.

Forest Friends

Campground Chronicles - The Archives

My Talented Blog Designer

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP