Saturday, May 5, 2007

Bottoms Up

I couldn't help but use that title for this post despite the alcohol reference. When we went in to check on Sam before bed last night this is the position he was in - his cute little butt up in the air with his knees tucked under him. Maybe that's why in yoga, they call this "child's pose". Little puppy, as we call him, was tucked under Sam's belly with only his back end sticking out. These are the moments that remind me why I blog. Sure it's nice to keep in touch with friends and family and meet new people and feel like I'm not the only one with a messy house, a screaming toddler, and a baby who wouldn't sleep (ssshhhh.....don't want to jinx it, but Julia is now sleeping 10-13 hours a night - sometimes without nursing at all). Anyway....what I'm trying to say is that I don't ever want to forget the little things that my kids do that will someday turn out to be the big things when they aren't doing them anymore. Hopefully this makes some sense, but if not....that's ok too. I'm really writing this to remind myself to savor the sweetness of my children's early years; to record what I don't want to forget, and be willing to stop worrying about whether I've done a post today or not. It's selfish of me to worry about capturing the moment so I don't forget. Who cares as long as the kids are happy, discovering new things, being kind to others, learning about our Savior, and just being themselves. It is really hard for me to put down the camera sometimes, but I don't want my kids to look back on their childhood and see a camera where there should be a mom. So I just told myself to "record what I don't want to forget" and to not "worry about capturing the moment so I don't forget". How can I do both? I don't have the answer right now other than to say I'm striving to find a good balance. Some days are easier than others. It's like trying to find time for myself. Sure I can sit down to read a book during nap time, but if I do that, there will be even fewer opportunities to get my work done which only adds to my stress level. Then the whole purpose is defeated. I might as well keep checking things off my to-do list.... on second thought - I think a nice yoga session will help clear my head. Child's pose here I come!

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous May 6, 2007 at 8:31 AM  

I feel the same too. I keep this blog as a sort of "journal" of my girls' milestones and funny/cute things they do. It has turned into a bit more, and sometimes I do just sit and go "there's no joy in it right now". I think I'm going to do the same thing...who cares if I do a post each day, right? Why not record the things that are precious, and not just blog to blog...you have me thinking early this Sunday morning...

Anonymous May 6, 2007 at 5:01 PM  

Amen. I've been feeling that a lot lately, too. And when my computer crashed and I lost lots of photos of my boys for good, I was crushed at first, but then I remembered, I have my BOYS in the flesh for now, and even that won't last. I love photos, and capturing moments, and blogging, yeah and resting, but none of that matters to my boys right now and certainly none of it matters in eternity.

Forest Friends

Campground Chronicles - The Archives

My Talented Blog Designer

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP