Sunday, April 22, 2007

It's Tradition


Today is my Grandma's birthday.
She is 87, but I think she's just as beautiful as she was in this next picture taken when I was a baby. That's her in the yellow. My mom is holding me and my great grandma is on the far left.




Right after Julia was born we took another 4 generation photo to keep up the tradition.


Another tradition our family has is to wear this gown when a baby is baptized. (This is Sammy's - can you believe that hair?)
It has been in my family for over 100 years. My grandma's dad was baptized in it as a baby. Assuming that he was at least 20 when my grandma was born - and she's 87 now - that makes the gown 107 years old. My kids are the 5th generation to wear it.

Samuel's baptism in 2004
Julia's baptism in 2006

Posted by Picasa


My baptism in 1977.
Posted by Picasa

Someday, God willing, I want to witness my grandchildren being baptized in the very same gown. Let's hope it doesn't disintegrate before then!

1 comments:

Anonymous April 23, 2007 at 8:22 AM  

Beautiful tradition! We have a lacy handkerchief in my mom's side of the family that is about as old as your gown. My grandmother keeps it and when someone is married in the family, they get to carry it (or wear it...at my wedding is was pinned under my dress). How neat that our families kept traditions like that alive!

Forest Friends

Campground Chronicles - The Archives

My Talented Blog Designer

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP