Saturday, February 24, 2007

Happy Birthday Dad

The snow is piling up as I write this on what would have been my dad's 60th birthday. Kinda fitting since he used to plow snow. He did lots of side jobs when I was growing up in order to buy my prom dress, send me on a once-in-a-lifetime horse camping trip to Wyoming when I was 14 - any other activity that required extra money to pay for - he'd pick up extra work to give me what I wanted.

He was a giver. He would help friends, family, and complete strangers. As a kid it would embarrass me when he'd go out of his way to offer his help when it didn't seem necessary. He liked to talk to the convenience store clerks, the guy in the checkout lane, anyone...... I'm all grown up now and I realize the error of my ways. Now I want to be that person who goes out of their way to help others. Even if that means my kids think their mommy should mind her own business, I want to model that generosity for my kids - to carry on my father's legacy of caring.

Sam and Julia won't know their Grandpa Jim on earth, but he's watching them grow up from Heaven. I know they've already made him proud.
Happy Birthday Dad! I miss you!

4 comments:

Anonymous February 25, 2007 at 9:06 PM  

Happy Birthday, Jim!! What a touching remembrance, Carrie.

Anonymous February 26, 2007 at 9:11 PM  

Happy Birthday Dad! I miss you and I can't wait till I get to see you again. KAra

Anonymous February 27, 2007 at 1:38 PM  

Yeah Kara! I'm so glad you set up a google account. It was a fun surprise to see your comment. Keep 'em coming.
Love,
your big sister

Anonymous March 2, 2007 at 6:16 PM  

I will.

Forest Friends

Campground Chronicles - The Archives

My Talented Blog Designer

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP